We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Urban Ecology: important for the sustainability of the planet
What is - definition
Urban ecology is a field of ecology whose object of study is the relations between the inhabitants of an urban area and their interactions with the environment. That is, it studies how plants, animals and people interact in a given urban environment (city, for example).
Urban Ecology uses field practices and theoretical concepts of traditional ecology, but with a strong dialogue with other areas such as Urbanism, Engineering, Architecture, Geography, Anthropology, Sociology, among others.
It is a very important area, as its studies and applications collaborate with the improvement of living conditions in urban centers, as it seeks ways to enable sustainable development (sustainability) in urban areas.
- Analyze the urban structure.
- Study the impacts of urban activities (pollution, urbanization) on the environment (rivers, water sources, animals, plants, etc.).
- Quantify the flow of energy and materials that the urban environment interacts with the environment.
- Define search criteria for urban management.
- Create policies aimed at raising people's awareness of the issue of sustainability in cities.