We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Stem: sap support and transport
What is (definition)
Stem is a plant organ that is responsible for supporting the tree tops and transporting the elaborate and raw sap produced by the plants from the roots to the leaves.
The stem has a cylindrical body and is formed by several layers of various types of tissues.
Main features of stem:
- Grows against the force of gravity (geotropism);
- Presents nodes that are inserted in the leaves and buds of plants;
- The stems have buds from which the knots, leaves, branches and flowers are born.
- The meristem is a plant tissue responsible for stem growth.
Types of plant stems:
- Air (direct contact with air in the atmosphere): can be creeping, erect and climbing.
- Underground (under ground): can be tubers, rhizomes and bulbs.
- Aquatic (develop in water, absorbing it through the epidermis).